Tuesday 13 September 2011

Another Path that's Percolating


Another layer in the recesses of my mind
is wondering how to stitch the ripples and reflections
of a rain filled puddle.
What fascinates me here is the transition from perfect circles
to the broken messy reflection of a vertical tree trunk.


Recreating water would not be my intent
though the character of those flowing lines and shapes could never be lost.
So many levels of line and shape are captured in water....
from underlying currents to rippling surface disturbances, 
  

from the shapes of things in and under the water to...
a million reflections of everything around and above that water.
Perhaps too much 'white noise' but so many possible stitchings.


What interests me in this one is the wake from the beaver
breaking the straight lines of the woodland reflections.

I will be isolating bits and enlarging bits,
exploring ideas
until this Penny drops!

11 comments:

  1. This looks intriguing - you're right, there are so many ideas here it is hard to know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous pictures and so much to think about. I'm hoping you explore this watery path as I'd love to see your interpretation. It gives me some ideas to ponder for a future project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so many intriguing images. the shapes of water. difficult to represent in stitch or in paint. but i have a strong feeling that you will find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a challenge, I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Love that photo of the beaver wake, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beaver is demonstrating ripples for you-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been fascinated by patterns made by, left by, or in water. I have countless photos of wave marks on the sand, eddies, pools, etc. It makes you wonder why it ripples a certain way here, but not there. I am sure a physics person could explain it, but I prefer images of water faires painting. Love watching beavers in the evening on my walks. Amazing what their teeth can do! Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I really love about this particular post is that you take us on your mental voyage.
    I feel as though I am on a ride at Disneyland.
    The beaver disrupting the original picture is my favorite and that you saw and captured that is such a good visual lesson.
    I will look at things differently, now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that top photo especially... it seems a type of dreamland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are incredible, I love your reasoning on water ripples and I am looking with anticipation to the process of creation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel...You hit the nail on the head!

    Penny...A watery plentiful pocket perhaps?

    Deanna...A bit confusion right now.

    Valerianna and Patty...Funny he hasn't visited yet this September.

    Jeannie...And they are so accurate with those teeth...Rusty pups beware!

    Filamental...That beaver probably whipped through my photograph in an attempt to scare away a rusty pup!

    Deb...Yes, you're right it is dreamlike...thanks for that, it might help in my thought process.

    Aracne....Thank you....let's wait and see if I do those pictures justice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny, it is delightful to read about the percolating going on in the back of your mind as you stitch on something else. Ideas for the NEXT project.

    Both this watery one and the one using rust from the previous post....so much to do isn't there.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, your thoughts are most welcome.